Agustin Lloses Trullols

Lloses Agustin

Born December 20, 1906 in Cervera (Lérida)

Professed August 15, 1924

Ordained a priest June 21, 1931

Shot August 21, 1936 in Lleida


Fr Agustin Lloses was born on December 20, 1906, in Cervera, province of Lérida and Diocese of Solsona. He was baptized in the parish church of Santa Maria. His parents were Don Agustín Lloses, a shoemaker by profession, and Dona Antonia Trullols. Another son, Joseph, was martyred together with Fr John Blanch, for having taken refuge in his house.

He entered the Postulancy of Barbastro in the summer of 1919. There he began his courses in Humanities with constant application to overcome the difficulties which he encountered with his studies. In the summer of 1923, he returned to Cervera for the Novitiate. A year later on August 15, 1924, he would make his First Profession.

Then on to Philosophy. The first year of Philosophy would be in the same college of Cervera and following with two more years in Solsona, which at that time was called Moral studies. In August 1927, he returned to Cervera to study Theology. The trip which he made with his peers in the cars, stopped to leave the Novices in Solsona and from there he continued by train to Cervera.

At the end of the first year of Theology, on July 13 and 14, 1928, he received Tonsure and the four Minor Orders. He continued his theological studies regularly and on May 29, 1931, he moved to Solsona to receive the Subdiaconate and Diaconate on the 30th and 31st. He then returned to Cervera. He would go to Solsona the following June 20th, to be ordained to the Priesthood on the 21st. On the afternoon of the same day return to Cervera.

After two months of being ordained he received his first assignment: an extern professor of the College of Gracia in Barcelona. Two years later he was sent to Vic as Assistant to the Novices, a position he held during the course 1933-1934. In February 1934, he went to Rome for the beatification of Father Claret. That same year he was assigned to the community of Lleida as Minister for the triennium 1934-1937.


Qualities and Virtues

Father Lloses was of good character and will, simple and friendly. He was diligent in his responsibilities, skilled and obedient. His speculative talent was limited but had an aptitude for drawing and painting which he put at the service of everyone when it was required.

Religious observant and fulfilled his duty.



Father Lloses was imprisoned on July 21, 1936, with the other members of the community. As Minister of the Community, during the stay in the prison, he was responsible for the priests weekly change of clothes and necessary bathroom items. Whenever he had a chance, he would leave his cell and visit the other captives to encourage them and then he was able to walk freely on his apostolic work. So he showed his integrity and his faith. He was serene and encouraged others to prepare for martyrdom.

This  we will not be able to be free. Things are really bad.

So what then?  He would respond with a smile.

He led the Rosary in his cell.

During his imprisonment, seeing that there was no solution, he wrote a letter to his mother telling her not to cry because of his death, since he would be martyr for Christ:

“Dear mother: May God protect you and we will meet in heaven. I’m writing from prison. I suppose that these will be the final lines of my life. Don’t cry for me, because I gladly give my life for the glory of God and as his minister. This is the reason why I will be shot.

Goodbye, because I can’t do more.

My greetings to Pepe, Antoinette, Mrs. Teresa, Theresita, Enriqueta and Rafaelito, and to you from your son, Agustin, C.M.F.”


August 20, 1936. At eleven in the evening of that day, the militia at the prison with a list of 74 well prepared names as they saw fit, following the investigation that had taken place a few days before. The names inscribed on the list were the priests, religious, and a sacristan, among which were the Missionaries Father’s Agustin Lloses, Luis Albi and Javier Morell and Brother’s Juan Garriga and Angel Dolcet. The militiant opened the doors of the cells as another read the names. As all were priests and religious. The young people were discovered and left in their cell. The Missionaries said goodbye to the remaining prisoners with the “Goodbye brothers, until heaven.” They were tied with ropes, – two by two and then taken in buses.

On that journey in the morning of August 21, 1936, in the chilling silence of the night, the martyrs began singing the Creed, the Ave Maris Stella, the Salve and the Magnificat. According to the report by Don Antonio Larroca, he said they were taken in groups of 14.

As they arrived at the cemetery, those tied two by two, elbow to elbow, between two rows of militia were led to the wall. A sergeant asked each:

You, who are you? And almost every answer was.

I am a priest or religious, they said.

In accordance, companions, today for you and tomorrow perhaps for me.

I was a sacristan, answered one when asked.

You’ll never touch the bells, replied the sergeant.

The execution was done in the following manner. The acting chief gave the commanding voice saying:

Load, aim, and then! Long Live the Republic! Indicating the time to shoot.

Long live Christ the King, shouted the victims until their last breath and fell lifeless. All then were given the coup de grace with a shot to the head. The bodies of the martyrs were buried in a common grave called “pit of the martyrs.”