Marcellin Mur Blanch

Born April 1, 1882 in Riguepeu (Gers-Francia)

Professed June 21, 1909

Shot July 25, 1936 in Sallent


Brother Mur was born on April 1, 1882, in Riguepeu, Gers, in France, and was baptized three days after his birth  in the parish of Riguepeu, within the Diocese of Auch. His parents were Don Ramón and Dona Joaquina.  They gave him a Christian education in accordance with their beliefs and means.

In September of 1892, he entered the Claretian Seminary of Barbastro to study the Humanities. His intellectual qualities were average. In June 1908, he started the Novitiate in Cervera. He was professed as a Coadjutor brother on June 21, 1909.

After his First Profession, his first assignment was to continued in Cervera learning the craft as a tailor. He was stationed in several communities. The first was Alagon in 1910. In September 1913, he was assigned to La Selva de Campo. Here he worked in the college of externs until 1917, when he was transferred to Cervera to work also in the college of externs, mainly with the kindergardens, “Distinguished by his fitness for the education of children in our schools.” In October 1931, he was assigned to Marseille, since he spoke French having been born in France. Here he held the position of Porter, tailor and sacristan until January 31, 1936 when he returned to Spain and the community of Sallent.



He had a strong character, but he knew how to suppress his shortcomings. At the beginning it was said that he was stubborn. Yet he was resolved and in good spirit.

Conduct was very good. Very good condition or healithy for work.

A good religious, who practiced all the virtues.  He was kind and compassionate, humble and modest in all things.



Brother Mur along with Father Mercer left the mission house of Sallent on July 20, 1936, and took refuge in a house on Calle Salmerón, where they remained until the 24th, in the afternoon. Realizing that the situation was not favorable, they returned to seek safety outside of Sallent, but were surprised and recognized by the Revolutionaries, where they were arrested, mistreated and subjected to harsh words. They offered no resistance to the abuses that were given. Some witnesses commented on their humility, meekness, and devotion to pray. A militia patrol took them to the Town Council, where Father Payas had already been captured and then they were taken to join Brother Binefa.

In the Town Council, he was subjected to interrogation as the other three and he confessed his condition as being a religious missionary of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. For this he was sentenced to death. That same night they were led to the cemetery where they all were shot around 6:30. This would all take place on July 25th.

He was buried in a common grave with the other three Claretians from Sallent.