Jose Ros Nadal

Born October 14, 1876 in Artesa (Lérida)

Professed December 8, 1899

Shot October 18, 1936 in Cervera (Lérida)


Brother Jose was born in the village of Artesa, province and Diocese of Lleida on October 14, 1876. His parents were Don Francisco Ros and Francisca Nadal. He was baptized the following day in the Parish of St. Michael the Archangel. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation in 1877, in the same parish. His parents, honest and good Christians died when he was young. Before entering the Congregation he was a student in the Marist Brothers’ School of Lleida.


He entered the Congregation on September 21, 1898, where he made a brief Postulancy for Brothers. Later that year he would begin his Novitiate. His Master of Novices was Father Crispiniano Garcia. He would make his First Profession on December 8, 1899. His ministry consisted as tailor and cook, but was willing to serve in whatever he was asked. The Master of Novices informed him that he was blest by God and always willing to serve in any ministry. He was very docile and applied everything to his work. His first assignment was the community of Cervera as cook. In 1903, he would go to Barbastro and then Sabadell. He was assigned to the missions of Guinea, Fernando Poo in October 1904. The main center of operations was Annobón and his ministry was to be the cook. Though he would help in many other way he always maintained a joyful spirit. Many of the missionaries he worked along side in Guinea would join him as a martyr in the later years. In 1907, he experienced a variety of illnesses due to the tropical nature of the missions. The doctors said he needed a change of environment, to prevent other disastrous effects. For this reason, he was transferred to the Iberian peninsula.



On the peninsula he received all necessary medical care to deal with his failing sight. Within months he would be totally blind. He resigned himself to this great test. On July 21, 1936 the community by order of Civil Authority would be disolved. He was taken to the hospital with the others.  He was offered the possibility of being transferred to his hometown. But this never happened because the letter arrived after that he and the other missionaries had been murdered. His execution took place on the early morning of October 18, 1936 while shouting, “Long Live Christ the King!