Evaristo Bueria Biosca

Bueria, Evaristo

Born June 21, 1913 in Montoliu (Lérida)

Professed August 15, 1930

Shot October 18, 1936 in Cervera (Lérida)


Evaristo Bueria was born in the village of Montoliu, in the province of Lerida on June 21, 1913, the son of Don Evaristo Bueria, a tile maker, and Teresa Biosca. He had three brothers and a sister, Antonia. A few days after his birth, he was baptized in the parish of the Nativity in Montoliu. He entered the Postulancy in Cervera on December 20, 1924. The Postulancy actually began 1925-1926 in Alagon, so these months were used for studies and prepaaration. Here he began the studies of Humanities. In a letter he wrote to his parents for Christmas. He expressed how happy he was that the studies were going well. In the summer of 1927, he moved to Cervera for further studies. He entered the Novitiate in Vic on July 30, 1929. He wrote his parents telling them that he was happier in Vic than in Cervera. He made his First Profession on August 15, 1930.

On August 18, a few days after his profession, in rented car a group of students left for Solsona to study Philosophy. In Solsona, Evaristo continued to experience good health and seemed to be excelling in studies. In July of 1931, he received a letter from his father expressing his concern over the political situation after the burning of churches and convents throughout the month of May and the new environment created by the Republic. Evaristo responded quickly:

“I received your letter of the 7th, of which I was glad, for the fatherly affection with which it is written. Don’t be afraid, I repeat again, because although as you know by the Iris of Peace (magazine) the outcome of the elections of deputies to the Courts is not very flattering but for now there is nothing to fear and especially in this city of Solsona in that the people loves us very much and they are very good people.”

When I dream of moving to Cervera, where I will be closer to home, and studying Theology.

The Superiors decided that the first year of Theology would be in Solsona, which impacted the visits from his family. Shortly after the start of the course, on October 13, 1932, he wrote to his mother:

“We have dearest mother come to very bad times, the demon by means of the children of the world persecutes the missionaries as well as those who are Catholics. So beloved mother I would ask you to entrust to the Lord and to the Heart of Mary our needs; I have entrusted to our dear Superiors who both work and sacrifice for our good; and clearly these circumstances has a lot of concern for our future; don’t fail to do what is needed.”

 The transfer to Cervera took place on September 22, 1933. The trip was made in rented car, which they thought would be a happy journey but it was a disappointment. The car was almost useless. They had to stopped several times and the trip went very slow. A connecting rod broke and they were very late in arriving in Cervera. It took almost two hours to drive 50 kilometers!

On June 12 and 13, 1935, he received Tonsure and the first two Minor Orders in Solsona, by the Bishop of Solsona.



Report from his teachers: joyful, spontaneous, light and at times he could be thoughtless. Little spiritual background. A stutterer due to nervousness. Not good at expressing himself. Get angry quickly and something messy. Little by little he is gaining in maturity. In his letters he manifested great love to the religious life and missionary vocation and always asked for prayers to persevere and be a good missionary. Also shows his apostolic zeal by encouraging vocations.



July 21, 1936: The community leaves their home. Evaristo Bueria went with the group in buses to Solsona, but by imposition of the Revolutionaries of Tora, they had to spend the night in San Ramon. The next day, Evaristo Bueria and José Loncán were taken to the hospital of Cervera. In the hospital, they were placed along with the other missionaries in the two rooms of the upper floor. Evaristo Bueria was sick with tuberculosis, a disease that he endured with patience. He did have opportunities to escape from the hospital and get to safety. So he wrote to his mother on October 11, 1936, shortly after the death of his father:

Very dear mother. I had written a postcard to give you news of my health, but I have just learned that the illness which father for many years has led him to the tomb; it is a very painful.

I may be able to keep you company now. Now I can accept the invitation that some time ago I made of going home; up to now, I have not been able to because of my illness. I am now better and more lively and on the other hand, the Administrators of the Hospital have given me permission to go to Montoliu.

See if someone can come and get me and if it can’t be then at least I will be able to make a visit.

Greetings to Jose and Eulalia.

A hug from your son Evaristo Bueria.”

Mrs. Teresa Biosca.


A day before being martyred his sister Antonia visited inviting him to go out with her. On that day he said that he couldn’t go. They agreed that in two days she would return to get him. Father Matute encouraged him to flee because the Congregation needed young men. According to the testimony of one of the representatives of the Board, Evaristo decided not to leave all his companions and wanted to suffer the same fate. On the night of October 17, 1936, the group of assassins captained by John Sole and gathered the missionaries on a truck. Evaristo Bueria and the other 10 Claretian’s were shot in the cemetery of Cervera while shouting, “Long Live Christ the King!