Buenaventura Reixach Vilaro

Born April 20, 1860 in Olost (Barcelona)

Professed March 19, 1888

Shot October 18, 1936 in Cervera (Lérida)


In the village of Olost close to Vic, in the province of Barcelona, Brother Buenaventura Reixach was born on 20 April 1860. The next day he was baptized in the parish of Santa Maria. A short time later on July 3, he received the Sacrament of Confirmation from the Bishop of Vic. His parents were Juan Reixach, a tailor and Maria Vilaró, who were blessed with ten children. Buevaventura was the second of all the children. Only five of the children would live. He entered the Postulancy in Vic on August 1, 1886. The following year he entered the Novitiate under the direction of Father Martin Alsina and made his First Profession on March 19, 1888.

He remained in Vic until October 1892, when he moved to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Madrid). Six years later he was assigned to Alagon (Zaragoza). In 1914, he went to Cervera. While in Cervera, he worked as a handiman, gardener and cook. One could describe him as a very simple, good and pious man. He was always praying while working in the kitchen and in the refectory. Others admired him for his humility and constant work. In the Spiritual Exercises of February 1934, he states:

“1. I propose to be punctual to acts of community and pray with the tone the others.

2º. I will try to leave everything in ordered in the sink and provide or leave with charity the things others may need.”


Brother Buenaventura Reixach was expelled from the community of the former University on July 21, 1936. He was taken to the town hospital. With the other missionaries in two rooms on the top floor, he dedicated his life to prayer and silence. He was offered the possibility of leaving the hospital. The offer came from José Solé, a member of the Hospital Board. October 17, 1936: The evening before the militia arrived at the hospital led by John Sole and Enrique Ruano to get the missionaries with the pretext of transferring them to another asylum in Barcelona, but the missionaries understood what would really happen. Boarding a truck, they rode to the cemetery. The shooting took place while the missionaries shouted, “Long Live Christ the King! A letter responding to his permission to leave the hospital came after the murder of the missionaries.